Be Prepared! -- TCard Specifics

To get a TCard, you'll need three things:

  1. Student Number or JoinID
  2. Citizenship Documentation
  3. Valid Government-issued Photo Identification.

1. Student Number or JoinID: That's easy! Both your Student Number (which is the same as your UofT Applicant Number) and JoinID are on your Admission letter, so just bring the letter or an email copy with you.

2. Citizenship Documentation: A valid Passport (Canadian or non-Canadian, providing it contains a valid study permit) is sufficient as proof of both citizenship and identity.

If you are a Canadian: bring your Canadian Passport. If you don't have one, bring your Canadian Birth Certificate, or Canadian Citizenship Certificatecard AND one piece of Canadian government-issued photo ID.
If you are a Permanent Resident of Canada: bring either your PR Card, Record of Landing, or Confirmation of Permanent Residence AND one piece of Canadian government-issued photo ID.
If you are an International Student: bring your Passport including a valid study permit.

Remember that all documents have to be the originals and valid (not expired)!

3. Valid government-issued photo identification.
To prove your identity, bring:
ONE of the following with a photo that is not more than 5 years old: Passport, Canadian's Driver's Licence, Ontario Photo Card (Note: Health Cards are not accepted),
TWO of the following, one of which must have a photo that is not more than 5 years old: Certificate or Indian Status, Canadian Citizenship Certificate, Birth Certificate, Permanent Resident (PR) Card.

A word about your name...

More than a few students have had to visit their College Registrar’s Office to settle an issue with their name before being issued a TCard.

Be prepared. When the TCard Office says the name on your government-issued photo identification has to be the same as the name on the UofT records system, they mean EXACTLY!

If this changes in the near future, we will let you know right here on FAStanswers.

But for now, if the UofT records system has no middle name for you, but your government-issued photo ID does, that middle name needs to be added to the UofT records system. Your College Registrar’s Office has to change it for you.

If the UofT system has a middle initial for you, and your government-issued photo ID has a complete middle name, it has to be added at UofT. The TCard Office will send you to your College Registrar’s Office to have the middle name added to the UofT system.

So compare your government-issued ID to your name on your offer of admission or on ACORN. If they don’t match exactly, save yourself the time running between offices. Visit your College Registrar’s Office first!

(You can find all your college contact information by clicking on your College in the word cloud to the right.) 

If you are a St. George Campus student, you can visit and contact the T Card Office at:

Downtown Toronto (St. George) Campus
Room 2054A, Robarts Research Library.
130 St. George Street,
Toronto, Ontario. M5S 1A5

Hours of Operation

Monday…………. 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Tuesday………… 9:00 am to 7:00 pm
Wednesday……. 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Thursday……….. 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Friday…………… 9:00 am to 5:00 pm