Be Prepared! -- TCard Specifics

To get a TCard, you'll need three things:

1.     Student Number or JoinID

2.     Citizenship Documentation

3.     Valid Government-issued Photo Identification.

Before we get started, all identification must be the original copy (no photocopies will be accepted, the photo on your identification cannot be more than 5 years old)

1Student Number or JoinID: That's easy! Both your Student Number (which is the same as your UofT Applicant Number) and JoinID are on your Admission letter, so just bring the letter or an email copy with you.

2. Citizenship Documentation

If you are a Canadian: bring your Canadian Passport. If you don't have one, bring your Canadian Birth Certificate or Canadian Citizenship Certificate card AND one piece of Canadian government-issued photo ID.

If you are a Permanent Resident of Canada: bring either your PR Card, Record of Landing or Confirmation of Permanent Residence AND one piece of Canadian government-issued photo ID.

If you are an International Student: bring your Passport including a valid study permit.

Remember that all documents have to be the originals and valid (not expired)! To get more information on the correct documents you need, visit the T Card website here

3. Valid government-issued photo identification.
The following is a list of identity documents that are accepted, with a photo that is no more than 5 years old:

  • Passport
  • Canadian Driver’s License
  • Provincial Photo Card
  • Nexus card (belonging to a Canadian Citizen)
  • Certificate of Indian Status issued by the Government of Canada
  • Permanent Resident (PR) Card issued by the Government of Canada
  • Canadian Armed Forces Identification Card

A word about your name...

More than a few students have had to visit their College Registrar’s Office to settle an issue with their name before being issued a TCard.

Be prepared. When the TCard Office says the name on your government-issued photo identification has to be the same as the name on the UofT records system, they mean EXACTLY!

But for now, if the UofT records system has no middle name for you, but your government-issued photo ID does, that middle name needs to be added to the UofT records system. Your College Registrar’s Office has to change it for you.

If the UofT system has a middle initial for you, and your government-issued photo ID has a complete middle name, it has to be added at UofT. The TCard Office will send you to your College Registrar’s Office to have the middle name added to the UofT system.

So compare your government-issued ID to your name on your offer of admission or on ACORN. If they don’t match exactly, save yourself the time running between offices. Visit your College Registrar’s Office first!