Transfer credits for IB | AP | GCE | CAPE

A number of students have asked how many 100-level courses they can take if they received transfer credit on admission for work done in high school.

Students can take a maximum of 6.0 100-level courses for degree credit.

If you have received transfer credit for International Baccalaureate, Advanced Placement, General Certificate of Education, French Baccaluareate Program, Singapore- Cambridge GCE Advance Level Examinations, Cambridge Pre- University Diploma, or Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examination work, those transfer credits count as degree credits so include them in your 6.0 total 100-series courses.

You have the option to forfeit these transfer credits. The deadline to forfeit is May 31, 2018.

Sometimes students will forfeit a transfer credit that they received for studies in high school, particularly if the transfer credit is in an area they intend to pursue as a Program.

For example . . .

. . . If you want to pursue an Economics Program and you received transfer credit for AP Microeconomics and Macroeconomics, the transfer credit will not count toward admission to an Economics program or toward satisfying an Economics Program requirement. So you will still need to take  ECO101H1 & ECO102H1 in order to apply to an Economics Program. But you can keep the transfer credit if you’d like; you do not have to forfeit your Economics transfer credit in order to take ECO101H1 and ECO102H1.

Following all that?

You can find more information about transfer credits for studies in high school, including whether they can be used for program admission and program requirements, on the pdfs on this page. For more advice about these transfer credits, review the information available here. If you have any questions, you can reach out to your College Registrar’s Office or the relevant academic department and ask for clarification.